In order to keep plowing through the next two years at my current job, I need to focus on the positive side of holding my job. The grass always look greener on the other side. I’m very guilty of this, and I’m realizing that there has to be a balance between having long term goals and ambitions and working towards those, and living in the moment – allowing myself to fully appreciate my current job and situation as a good thing at this time. This is called “count your blessing”. So, here goes:
1. My best friends are my colleagues. It is very comforting to have a group of people that I can turn to. I am in a town all by yourself that I could call somebody up, and they could be by my side. They could help with schedule change, to share bad times and good times with me. Many occasions where I’d pack my lunch and leave it at home and no wallet. They didn’t hesitate to lend me money to buy lunch or pay for gas. Not everyone can have this kind of chemistry in a company like this.
2. Never have to walk in snow or rain – My parking garage is connect to my work. It can be snowing or raining, but I never have to walk outside to endure the harsh winter. I pay a fortune like this. Back in the day, my 1 year parking fee is greater than what my car is worth.
3. It is safe part of the downtown area – I would feel comfortable walking around this area where it is only government and clinic.
4. Beautiful scenic drive – I get to drive through a scenic road every single day – it is beautiful here in the north east – no matter what time of the year, either flowers are blooming, leave turning, even on a cloudy, muddy, floggy, rainy, sunny day. It is beautiful where you can see the cycles of life, with old architecture buildings. The city is very charming.
5. It pays very well – The whole reason I can afford my trips to Puerto Rico, California – San Francisco, Los Angeles, Asia, Minneapolis, Texas, St. Louis, West Virginia, Chicago, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, Disney World, Tampa, Cruise to Caribbean, Washington DC, New York, Niagara Falls, Buffalo, Toronto is all to my job paying me well. Don’t forget many trips to the beach (beach front room).
6. Interesting stories – I’m fortunate to work with a lot of wise and well traveled people. They have wisdom and great story to tell.
7. Co-workers also love their jobs – it is cool to be around people who love their job and making the workplace a more positive environment.
8. Source of inspirations – My work (hopefully) helps to inspire and encourage young people. As many students passing through me, I tried to give them pointers and hopefully inspire them to share their knowledge as they move on to the world.
9. Paid time off – I have PTO which the I earned the vacation time. It is awesome to be on vacation and get paid at the same time.
I’m adding a extra bonus reason that I love about my job 🙂 you can’t have too much of a good thing, right?
10. Receive Freebies – 401K matching up to 4%-12% depending on your age and years of service, free meals for X-mas, Thanksgiving, to free yoga class, free 6 credits per semester (I haven’t taken advantage of this :(), free meal with I reach my 5 years, free tshirt (one time), free scrubs (well you have to check them back in, but as long as you work here, they are yours to us), free $8000 when you buy your first house (I didn’t take advantage of this as I didn’t know), free CPR classes
It really isn’t bad most day, I don’t dislike my job, like today, one of my decision can affect somebody’s baby. And I made the call so we can provide the best care possible to the patient. I can say I have my chin up, walk straight, and sleep very well at night knowing I can allow the team a bit longer to make the decision, rather than saying “no” because they are 10 minutes behind schedule.
Many times I complain about working overnight, but the patients get sick or still sick whether it’s day or night, somebody needs to be there for them. I just feel lucky that I’m the healthy one instead of the sick one. I’m thankful for the good health that I’m having right now. I do appreciate my colleagues, my companies, and everyone else to give me the opportunity to work and continue to work in a nice and safe environment.