Jessamyn West, A Librarian, Is Suing Equifax and You can Do It, Too!


1-mt2zMP8FYZBmUuWuorLhsg.jpeg  That’s her, the brave Librarian, Jessamyn West, who’s taking on the big corporation, Equifax. I’m going to be following her website on Medium and her twitter.

As some of you might have already known from my previous post that my information was exposed by hackers who invated Equifax. I don’t recall giving Equifax permission to hold my SSN, DOB, Name, Address, Driver License after the initial credit report. But they do it anyway??

Anyhow, there are 23+ Class Action Lawsuit against Equifax. I’m sure if one of them can win against Equifax, they will connect to the affected parties. But if you want to take on Equifax. I’ll give some of the necessary information for you to go forward.

  1. You’ll need Equifax Address:

    • Google search yields that their headquarter is in Atlanta:
    • Dispute information in my credit report.

      Initiate a dispute online here. For disputes by telephone, a telephone number is provided to initiate disputes on your credit report. To dispute by mail, please mail in your dispute to the address provided below.

      Equifax Information Services, LLC.
      P.O. Box 740256
      Atlanta, GA 30348

      866 349-5191


    • I found another address using the search term “Equifax Physicall Address”
      1550 PEACHTREE ST NE
      ATLANTA, GA 30309-2402

      WOBURN, MA 01801-3342

Just In Case, I’d send the letters to all three address, to see if you can get a respond from one of them.

You’ll have to first try to reconcile with Equifax, The librarian, Jessamyn West, that suing Equifax. She wrote why she’s seeking damages. I think you can just copy and paste the reason, plus or minus a few parts that applicable to you. She wrote:

My assertion here is that

– Equifax acted recklessly;
– Equifax ignored best or even good practices of data security;
– Equifax’s actions have caused me emotional distress;
– Equifax’s actions will require me to either pay some company money or take my own personal time to be vigilant about not just my own but at least two other credit accounts for years into the future.

This could have been prevented. Equifax needs to own that and take true responsibility for this mess.

Thank you for your time. See you in court.

Jessamyn West

2. Fee to file is $90 according to her. In my State it’s $60.

  • I found another service where you don’t have to spend the court fee, and the company will find the necessary forms for you to file. If you win, they wants 33% of the settlement. Not too bad. This is the website:

3. Forms: Forms are pretty easy, when you go to a courthouse, if you’ve already gotten the address, the clerk will walk you through the paper work.

I’m not filing a suit because:

1. I don’t want to go to court.

2. I don’t want to be emotionally involved in a lawsuit.

3. I don’t have the time commitment to this. Imaging I’ve already planned my oversea trip or US trip and I’d have to be stuck in court with lawyers or people that are smarter than me?? A lot more … mouthier…??? Nah….. not too appealing.

4. I’m taking a easy way out, maybe writing them a letter asking for a 10 years free credit protection. win-win???

Please drop a comment let me know if you’re affected by the hack, are you turning on the credit protection? Are you suing in small claim court?


If you’re interested in reading the Whole Small Claim Procedure you can go here:

Small Claims Court Procedures
An Overview Of Small Claims Litigation
The “jurisdiction” of a court is the power of that court to hear and decide a particular type
of case. The small claims court has jurisdiction over civil cases in which the plaintiff is seeking a
money judgment up to $5,000 or recovery of personal property valued up to $5,000.
In trials before the small claims court, witnesses shall be sworn. The judge shall conduct
the trial in an informal manner so as to do substantial justice between the parties. The judge shall
have the discretion to admit all evidence which may be of probative value although not in
accordance with formal rules of practice, procedure, pleading or evidence, except that privileged
communications shall not be admissible. The object of such trials shall be to determine the rights
of the litigants on the merits and to dispense expeditious justice between the parties.
The successful plaintiff in a civil case will in most cases be awarded a money judgment
as compensation for the defendant’s wrongful act. The judgment is judicial recognition that the
defendant is indebted to the plaintiff for a particular sum of money. The plaintiff is never assured
of actually receiving the money, however, since the judgment can only be enforced out of
property belonging to the defendant. Remedies to enforce judgments are available, but a
defendant in a civil case is not subject to criminal sanctions for failing to pay a money judgment.
Preparing To File Suit In Small Claims Court
Locating the Defendant’s Correct Name and Address
It is essential in filing suit that the plaintiff know the defendant’s current address.
Businesses that are trading under an assumed name are required by law to file a fictitious name
statement in the clerk’s office of the local circuit court. For example, if John Doe is doing
business as “Doe Jewelry,” he would be sued under the name “John Doe trading as Doe
Jewelry.” John Doe should have on file in the circuit court a fictitious name statement, indexed
under “Doe Jewelry,” and listing the real name of the owner of the business, the name of an
agent if the owner resides elsewhere, and an address where the owner or agent can be found. For
another example, if Jane Roe owns a corporation called Roe Corporation that is doing business
under the name “Roe Jewelry,” a suit would be brought against “Roe Corporation trading as Roe
Jewelry.” The fictitious name statement would indicate that Roe Corporation owned “Roe
Jewelry” and would list an address for the corporation as “Roe Corporation, c/o Jane Roe, 102
Park Street, Roeville, Virginia.”
If the defendant is known to be a corporation, a simple way to locate the address is to call
the registered agent division of the State Corporation Commission in Richmond, (804) 371-9967.
That office will provide the name and address of the corporation‘s registered agent. The address
needed to bring suit against the corporation is, for example, “XYZ Corp., c/o John Doe,
Registered Agent 1402 Fish Lane, Fishtown, Virginia.” Providing as complete an address as
possible will enhance the possibility of successful service of process, so include the name of the
city or county, zip code and apartment number, if any. A post office box number alone is
insufficient for service.
If the defendant is an individual and the home address cannot be located, a work address
will suffice, although a home address is preferable.
Filing Suit In Small Claims Court
In the small claims division of the general district court, the plaintiff will be requested to
fill out a civil warrant or a civil summons form which contains space for the details of the claim.
If the plaintiff is seeking only a money judgment, he or she should prepare and file a warrant in
debt. If the plaintiff is seeking to obtain possession of specific personal property that the plaintiff
claims is being wrongfully withheld by the defendant or that was given by the defendant as
collateral to secure a loan now in default, the plaintiff should prepare and file a warrant in
detinue. The form may be filled out by a nonlawyer representing himself or herself (see The
Question of Representation, discussed later). The plaintiff will need to bring to the clerk the
following: (1) the name of the defendant, (2) the current address of the defendant, (3) the amount
of the plaintiff’s claim, (4) the basis of the claim, and (5) sufficient funds to pay the filing fee
and any sheriff’s fee for serving the warrant. The amount required may vary, depending upon the
court, so you may want to inquire with the court about the cost. The fees must be paid in cash, by
certified check, or by money order. If you are preparing a civil warrant, you should make two
extra copies, one to keep for your own records and one to mail to the defendant, in addition to
the number of copies requested by the clerk for processing by the court.
In preparing a warrant in debt, the claim must specify a dollar amount and the reason for
the claim. In preparing a warrant in detinue, the plaintiff must describe the specific property
being sought, state its value, and state the basis of the claim for possession of the property.
One additional step is taken by careful plaintiffs. A copy of the civil warrant is sent by
first-class mail by the plaintiff to the defendant at least ten (10) days before the date when the
plaintiff and defendant are to come to court for their first appearance in the dispute. Further, the
plaintiff fills out a Certificate of Mailing, which is either delivered to the judge at the trial or
delivered to the clerk’s office before the date of the trial. Otherwise, the plaintiff cannot get
judgment on the trial date if the defendant fails to come to court (which happens frequently), and
the case will be continued until the ten-day notice requirements have been met.
Service of Process
After the clerk completes the clerk’s portion of the civil warrant prepared by the plaintiff,
the papers are sent to the sheriff of the county or city where the defendant is located or the
plaintiff may utilize a private process server to serve the papers on the defendant. A deputy of the
sheriff’s department or a private process server will deliver the civil warrant to the defendant,
thus providing notification of the suit. This notification is called “service of process.”
If the civil warrant lists the defendant’s home address, process may be served by the
deputy sheriff or private process server delivering the civil warrant to the defendant or to any
member of the defendant’s family age sixteen years or older who is present at the defendant’s
“usual place of abode” (usually his or her home). If neither the defendant nor anyone in the
defendant’s family can be located, the deputy sheriff or private process server may “post”
(attach) the civil warrant to the front door of the defendant’s usual place of abode. In some cases,
the deputy sheriff or private process server will not be able to serve the papers by the above
methods. The papers then will be returned to court with the deputy sheriff’s or private process
server’s written statement that the defendant was “not found” (that he or she was unable to serve
the papers on the defendant). Without service of process having been made, the court cannot try
the case. If you are suing a corporation, an out-of-state defendant, or if service of process cannot
be made by the deputy sheriff or private process server, you should contact the clerk to inquire
how service of process may be issued and what fees (if any) are involved.
If the only available address of the defendant is a work address, the civil warrant must be
served in person. Sometimes, it can be difficult for a deputy sheriff or private process server to
locate someone at work, and the sheriff’s department or private process server will only make a
limited number of attempts to serve process before returning the civil warrant or summons to the
court unserved.
Return of the Warrant
The civil warrant will include a specific date and time when the defendant and the
plaintiff must come to court for the trial of their dispute. This date is sometimes called the
“return date.” All of the cases scheduled for trial on the same date may require the parties to
appear at the same time. However, the cases will be called one at a time when the parties will
approach the judge concerning their case.
If the civil warrant was served on the defendant in a legally correct way and he or she
fails to appear on the return date, a “default judgment” may be entered against the defendant. In
this situation, the court will enter a judgment for the plaintiff on the trial date based on sufficient
evidence from the plaintiff supporting the claim. The defendant has lost the case
If the civil warrant was served by “posting” (attaching) the civil warrant to the front door
of the defendant’s residence, an additional step is required before default judgment will be
entered. The plaintiff must certify to the court that at least ten days before the entry of default
judgment, the plaintiff mailed to the defendant at his or her residence, by ordinary first-class
mail, a copy of the civil warrant. Otherwise, the case will be continued, and the plaintiff must
return to court for the default judgment after the ten-day period has elapsed.
If the plaintiff fails to appear in court, the defendant may ask the judge to decide the case
in the defendant’s favor.
Before the judge decides the case, the defendant has the right to remove the case to the
general district court by completing the Removal to General District Court form on the back of
the civil warrant and giving it to the clerk or judge.
Trial Procedures
The Question of Representation
All parties shall represent themselves in actions before the small claims court except as
1. A corporate or partnership plaintiff or defendant may be represented by an owner, a
general partner, an officer or an employee of that corporation or partnership. An attorney
may serve in this capacity if he is appearing pro se, but he may not serve in a
representative capacity “unless he is doing so for the sole purpose of removing the case to
the general district court.”
2. A plaintiff or defendant who, in the judge’s opinion, is unable to understand or participate
on his own behalf in the hearing may be represented by a friend or relative if the
representative is familiar with the facts of the case and is not an attorney.
If a party wishes to call witnesses besides himself, he or she should consider having them
served with a subpoena, even if the witness has willingly agreed to appear at the trial or is a
defendant. If the witness has received the subpoena at least five days before trial and if his or her
testimony is important to the case, the judge will usually continue the case until a later date (if
requested), should the witness not appear. Otherwise, the trial usually will proceed without that
To subpoena a witness, the party must file a Request for Witness Subpoena, district court
form DC-325, in the small claims division of the clerk’s office at least ten days before the trial.
This timing is required so that the witness can receive the subpoena at least five days before trial
as required by law. The party will need to give the name and current home address of the
prospective witness.
It is important to notify your witnesses (except the other party) before they receive their
subpoenas. Witnesses taken by surprise may be angered and less willing to be cooperative in
court. Explain to a witness why you need his or her testimony and try to convince the witness to
come willingly. Any party is entitled to subpoena any witness, willing or not, but a willing
witness may be more helpful in court.
You will be required to pay an additional sheriff’s fee for the service of each witness
Each case is tried in an informal manner. Both plaintiff and defendant will be given an
opportunity to introduce evidence, ask questions of the witnesses, and explain to the judge why
the judge should enter judgment in his favor. While the judge has the discretion to admit
evidence of probative value even if it does not comply with all of the legal requirements, he may
not allow witnesses to testify until they have been sworn and he may not consider “privileged
communications” (statements by certain people barred by law from being used in a trial).
Judgment Is Entered
At the end of the case, the judge will enter judgment for either the plaintiff or the
defendant. If judgment is for the plaintiff, it may be the result sought by the plaintiff, or it may be
less. The person who has the burden of proof must not only prove that he or she is entitled to win
the case, but also must prove the amount due. If a party wishes to appeal the judgment and the
amount in dispute exceeds $50, the party may file an appeal of the case to the circuit court for a
new trial. Notice of the appeal must be filed within ten days after the entry of judgment. District
court form DC-475, Civil Appeal Notice, is used for filing an appeal. If an appeal is filed, the
judge will set an appeal bond. Within thirty days after judgment is entered, an appealing party
must perfect the appeal by posting the required bond with the clerk of the court. The appeal will
be tried in circuit court in a formal manner strictly following all of the rules of evidence and
procedure, where lawyers usually represent the parties. In circuit court, a jury may be requested
if the claim exceeds $100.
Enforcing the Judgment
The judgment of the court is, in itself, nothing but an official statement in the court’s
records that the defendant, now also called the judgment debtor, owes the plaintiff, the judgment
creditor, a certain amount of money with interest. The judgment must be enforced out of the
assets of the defendant.
To enforce the collection of the judgment, the judgment creditor may contact the general
district court clerk’s office for additional information on court procedures to collect the
judgment, including:
• Using a Summons to Answer Interrogatories for getting information about the defendant
and his assets in order to use court collection procedures.
• Obtaining an Abstract of Judgment to take to circuit court for recording as a lien against
real estate.
• Obtaining a Writ of Fieri Facias to have the judgment debtor’s personal property sold at
public auction to pay the judgment.
• Obtaining a Garnishment Summons to secure payment from the judgment debtor’s bank
account or earnings


    • Thank you for visiting and commenting!

      I was readying Jessamyn post. She’s a starter. Her name is on the wikipedia. She is SMART. Regardless, they can’t throw too many weapons against her as they can’t bring “teams of lawyers” into the small claim court, can’t they?

      Corporation vs Working American

      **Picking on a working American, a librarian (the sweetest profession ever), who has just lost her mother, and she will spend enormous amount of time to monitor her credit, because now she has a lot to lose if the bad people wants to do bad things to with her good credit**

      I’m sure small cases like this will pop up, and I’ll be researching and update here when more people decide to go forward.

  1. They should be sued and several executives should go to jail for insider trading. Data breaches are becoming commonplace. The only way to force companies to act swiftly and follow the latest security protocols is to attach jail sentences to incidents like this one. It seems that a company should be legally obligated to notify consumers within 24-hours of a data breach.

  2. In all likelihood her case will be consolidated as part of a class action. Damages in small claims court are limited (by state) apparently in her case to $5,000 and in many states limited to provable losses. Some potential losses may not be initially quantifiable. Check the documents associated with a credit app you submitted for a loan and you will find you indirectly authorized Equifax’s data as their direct customers are the lenders – not consumers – therefore her case may also be dismissed for lack of standing (depending on the state).

    My approach will be to wait for three particular class actions – one as a consumer, the other on behalf of lenders (now exposed) the other as an investor and I should have standing on all fronts.

  3. We are your Equifax Service of Process Specialists!
    We are located near downtown Atlanta and will serve your Equifax lawsuit within 3 business days of receipt for no additional cost. (Pre-payment required)
    Contact us today for our special service rate.

  4. In California, small claims cost start around $35, and up to around $65 depending on the amount claimed. Its up to $10,000 in small claims. Also, California like many other states do not allow attorneys to defend suits. Meaning they will have to send a regular employee to defend. I’ve filed over 35 small claims actions in the past 4 years. One major drawback of small claims is that they use pro-tems, “volunteer attorneys” as judges, and most of the time, they have NO clue what they are doing. I would suggest filing federal suits. You can file in forma pauperous if you don’t have enough money to pay the filing fees.

    • Thank you for the information. I guess with 35 small claim actions under your wing, you’re probably go to court more than most real estate lawyer I know (they never goes to court LOL).

      I’m probably not going to go. I’d pay the monitoring fee and see how the whole thing play out. Equifax is probably predicting they’re going to benefit from people like me who didn’t want to sign to begin with, get hooked on one year, then after that I’ll have to fork out the money. Which is sad!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.